Compulsory Basic Training (CBT)
The CBT is your first step to riding a motorcycle on the road.
It is also the first opportunity to meet our instructors and the start of your motorcycling experience with Maverick.
For many of our customers over the years this has been the start of their riding career and the beginning of some life changing experiences.
We believe that our CBT Course is the foundation to all future training and riding and we provide the best facilities in the area to get you started.
Our Training is made up of 5 different elements and you must complete each one successfully before moving on to the next.
- Step 1 - Introduction. This covers the aims of the course, an eyesight test, legal requirements, the right equipment and clothing, speeds and the Highway Code.
- Step 2 - On Site Practice Training. Getting to know your motorcycle and its controls. Basic machine checks and manoeuvres whilst wheeling your machine. A maximum of 4 learners is permitted per instructor.
- Step 3 - On Site Riding Practice. Controlling your bike through a number of exercises including changing gear, right and left turns, figure of eight and the emergency stop.
- Step 4 - On Road Practical Training. This will prepare you for riding on the road. Covering defensive riding, rear observational skills, correct road positioning and different Road Surfaces.
- Step 5 - On Road Riding. On completion, you will ride under a variety of conditions dealing with negotiating roundabouts, junctions, bends, gradients, pedestrian crossings, traffic lights and obstructions. This part of the course is for two trainees at a time per instructor.
After successfully completing this course you will be issued with a CBT Certificate (form DL196) this allows you to ride unaccompanied on the road as a learner with "L" plates to practice for your test.
The DL196 Certificate is only valid for two years for learning motorcycle riders. This means you will need to complete your training and pass your motorcycle test within two years to avoid having to undertake your CBT training again.
Free Theory Test!
When you're ready for the test you can book your test online with the Driving Standards Agency (DSA). To take an official practice theory driving test, click here.